The History of the Museum

The History of the Museum

Dear friends!

The Transcarpathian Regional Artistic Museum of Y. Bokshay is one of the centres of culture and art of our land. It has passed a difficult way of developing for more than a half of a century.

Everything started in June 1945, when a few apartments in Uzhgorod castle were given for the display of the former Zemska art gallery. They were opened for the admirers of fine art in November, 1948. Time goes by and the museum display was filled up by exhibits from private collections, and also from the museums of Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Kyiv, Kharkiv, Odesa, Lviv. The funds needed new areas.
And in spring 1979 our museum moves to the historical center of Uzhgorod, to the wonderful building of former Zhupanat, dated back to 1809, standard of classic art, where it is located up till now. In 1990 for valuable achievements in popularization of fine art in our region the Museum gets the name of the leading artist of Transcarpathian painting school, folk artist of the USSR, member of the Academy of arts of the USSR -Yosyp Bokshay.

Nowadays the funds of museum have more than 10 thousand exhibits. Works of painting, graphic arts, sculpture, decorative art works are collected here. The best exhibits of our collection are presented on this website.

We hope that the museum’s web site will be interesting, informative, and useful. And we, workers of museum, are always glad to see all the fans of art in our halls.